Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Journey of Walking to Car Ownership to Walking Again

I used to want a drive Ford Mustang in the 1990s but then I realized how much gas it burned. I always liked Toyota Camrys too because they were considered a high end sedan.

My first car was a 1991 2-door Toyota Corolla with the flip up lights. Of course this was in 2003 but I loved my little 'ragga' car. I rolled around in that little car for almost 2 years and then I realized that living in the hills required a tougher car. I then realized that a Subaru had everything that I needed - space, all wheel drive and mega comfort. I did get my Forester but it got into an accident. Apparently the insurance guys thought that the car was too good for me so they twisted my arm to get it.

Then I got a Mitsubishi Lancer and that was a huge mistake for me. It was expensive to maintain and then the transmission broke down. This was a time for good decision making. If a car repair costs 5 months rent, is it worth it? I'm cheap so NO.

I then decided that I had had enough. Gas prices have sky-rocketed and cars always need to be maintained. What's harder is that if the vehicle is not a US spec, it's harder to get parts. When you get the parts it's super expensive. I catch the bus and while it's not super convenient, I get around for less cost than owning a car right now. Plus, it's an easy way to just not take part in stuff.

My thoughts on young people just out of high school or college buying a car:
1. Buy a used car but have it checked thoroughly.
2. If you have finished college, think about buying land or opening a business first.  Land appreciates, business blossom but cars depreciate.
3. Be prepared to take care of your vehicle. Rotate your tires and change them as needed. Check your fluids weekly and keep an eye on your wiper blades.
4. Don't let your gas tank go the E often.
5. Park and walk to close destinations.
6. Keep your ride clean inside and out even though I sucked at the outside part.
7. Service the vehicle regularly. A family member or friend can do two of the services for the year and the dealer or mechanic can do one or two also just to ensure that all the sensors work etc.

Every one has to make the decision that makes life easier for them. My journeys sometimes take longer and sometimes I move faster. Once I can get there safely, I'll get it worked out. I'm actually more on time now without the car.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!