Sunday, May 5, 2024

My National Poetry Month Experience and a Poem


I have not written on my blog since April 2, 2024. It's not that I wasn't writing or wanting to share. April was National Poetry Month in the USA, and I celebrated it by participating in a daily writing challenge, online readings, and one workshop. Thank you to Angel Kim-Mack for sharing the challenges in Papi's Poetry Corner.

Dr. Michael Anthony Ingram of Quintessential Listening: Poetry Online Radio and YouTube interviewed me on May 2, 2024. It was the first time anyone ever picked my brain so deeply about my writing. I look forward to hearing the edited version that Dr. Ingram will share soon. I am truly grateful for this opportunity.

Online interviews and poetry readings have helped me with delivery and confidence. I feel that I have improved my intonation and pace. More exposure provides avenues for development and keeps you open to suggestions.

I always encourage investment in our talents. Continuously seek avenues to share your work by connecting with our persons in your field. Ensure that your name is on your work before you share. Most importantly, get your work out there!

Here is one of the poems that I wrote for challenge. The image for this post is the picture I colored.

Day 29 Prompt: Write a poem from the perspective of a forgotten photograph. What memories does it hold or bring back? What feelings did it make you feel? Tap into the nostalgia of it.

Having Heart
I remember when we tried to show
that we had heart
our own people stood with us
while silently tearing us apart
the mission was to deliver a simple
kind and generous gesture
nothing extravagant or bourgeois
but yes - we did take a picture
not to boast that we did something
that was oh so great
but to remind people that not
everyone has a food-filled plate
it seems that no matter what
you try to do in this life
somehow people find the way
to make confusion and strife
but what I most remember
about that day
was not what anyone had
to express or even say
it was the joy of coloring a
plain bunny rabbit
taking me back to a time
when being creative was
a pastime and not a habit
so that’s why I will continue
to invest in my poetry
and not waste time with people’s
bad attitudes and anarchy
I’m going to continue sharing
love straight from my heart
hoping that one day my love
will also touch your heart
© Linette Rabsatt

I am very excited about a feature spot on Calling All Poets Series on Thursday, July 18, 2024. Thank you to Mike Jurkovic for allowing me to share my work with a global audience. I plan to share poems that span my writing career which started in 1996. Register here and tune in to support me and the other poets who will be participating in that reading. 

Remember, continue to hone your talents and get your work out there!

1 comment:

SHADI said...

Lets gooo Queen

2024 Happy Mother's Day!