Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Wannabe Farmer



My farming days are fun. I love to see the plants blooming but of course my eventual hope is that I would get a nice harvest. I look for every bit of loose soil I can find that I can stick something in the ground. Sometimes I don't always get positive encouragement like when my son said "Mommy, why don't you get a real garden?" If he wasn't a child he would have gotten some tough words for sure. I am just a novice even though I work for the Department of Agriculture. I am not formally trained in farming but I have sat in on some workshops.

I love the concept of growing food because it is raw science and our only means of survival. I have been able to secure my own chive, parsley, sweet thyme and now small leaf thyme. If the tomatoes, butternut squash and other little crops survive, then I should definitely be eating healthier. It is also a joy to share this with my children as they are doing science and it surely helps them.

I am looking forward to share pictures in the near future once the cows don't get out and get rutless and make a mess.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!