Monday, February 20, 2012

New Reggae Music from the BVI: The Foundation by Shine-I

Shine-I | The FoundationShine-I released his anticipated debut album, "The Foundation," on January 12, 2012. A massive album release party is set for March 4, 2012 in the BVI.

Darius Semper, known to most people as Shine-I, is an energetic reggae lyricist and recording artist hailing from the British Virgin Islands (BVI).

Shine-I released his debut album, The Foundation, on January 12, 2012. British Virgin Islanders have been buzzing with excitement as they have seen Shine-I perform at poetry readings held by the Callaloo Poets, at Farmers' Week, Artists Against Addiction showcase, BVI Festival and other events. He has also hit the stage in the neighboring US Virgin Islands, building up his performance resume.

The New Album
 His new album comprises fourteen original tracks including a poetic "Intro - The Uprise" which was wirtten by Shine-I's wife Adell and performed by both of them. The mixing was done by Marcus Mark and Lincoln Ward. The local airwaves have been booming with requests to hear songs from The Foundation, including the title track, "The Foundation", "Empress", Bright 'N' Morning Star" and "I'm Sorry".
  • "The Foundation": "The Foundation", the title track, is rightly named as it is the second track on the album and gives a rousing introduction to what the rest of the album has to offer. Shine-I's lyrics begin, "If the foundation be moved/ What would the righteous do/ If Jah temple be destroyed/ What would become of the boys and girls."
  • "Empress": "She is an empress/ Watch at the way she flex/ Caring with love so endless" begin this song, which expresses respect and adoration for a mighty woman. Another sample of the lyrics is "She is a true Empress/ See how she living/ Straight to her word/ Righteousness she be bringing...." Makisha Gordon, former Calypso Queen, and April Glasgow sing the background vocals on this mellow track which brings a neo-soul fusion to reggae rhythms.
  • "Black Love": "Black Love" is a reggae duet sung by Shine-I and Maccabee who is also from the BVI. They sing for the need of wholesome love in the world today. The chorus is simply "Whether it is white, yellow, black love, let the peace fly like a dove/ One thing that the whole world needs from us is love." The two balance the song with their unique voices on a beat produced by Marcus Mark.
  • "I'm Sorry": "I'm Sorry" is a soothing reggae song that should soon become a classic. As the track title reveals, this song is an apology for, as Shine-I states, "all the wrong I've (he's) done." In the bridge, he states "I'll cater to you girl for all the days of my life" to show the deep sincerity in the apology.
  • "Universal Chant": This is the only song that Shine-I performs solo that was co-written by another lyricist. Adell co-wrote "Universal Chant" which calls for senseless violence to cease. The song starts off with a light drum beat and a soft guitar with the chilling but soft sound of a siren in the background. As the song continues, Shine-I asks for people to live in peace and unity.
Album Release Party
The Foundation was launched in January 2012 but the grand album release party is scheduled for March 4, 2012 at La Piazza, Prospect Reef in Tortola. Artists who will be celebrating and performing with Shine-I include BVI's Maccabee, Ritical, Imo, Capable and Empress Ruth. Regional artists performing include Mada Nile from St. Croix, USVI, Jah Vinci from Jamaica and Infamus from St. Kitts and Nevis. 

Shine-I has put a lot of effort and time into crafting his style and sound. His hard work has paid off with the release of The Foundation. With songs like "I Got It Bad", DreamSnatcher", "P.V." and "The Foundation", this album gives listeners a great balance of reggae music with a BVI flavor.

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!