Monday, September 5, 2011

The Fads, Sex & Fashion of Music - short thoughts



Music really seems to go in periods of fads. It's not just the fashion and the rhythm but lyrically, music does evolve and in some cases almost dissolves. I liked the 90s lyrically but the fashion, which was the craze at that time, was really off. Hammer pants, crazy colors and hair, jherri curls, jeans that were loose and still baggy or super baggy are all part of the 90s and we hope these trends stay far away in the annals of time. I must say that the different award shows were much more glamorous back then because there was some really regal outfits. Of course, Lil Kim and Toni Braxton bared it out in the 90s too.

I think that since 2000, we've been focused on so much sexuality that even the once squeaky clean (or so perceived artists) fall into the trap of pushing sex. I do like some artists that have achieved major successes since 2000 including Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Chris Brown, Lloyd, Jazmine Sullivan, Gyptian, Jah Cure etc.

If you sing about love, sex is part of it too. However, do we need it blatantly in our eyes? Even in our local festivals and carnivals, we have to wonder what has happened to us. I guess the sexual images are so much in front of us that one front looks no different to another. I always say that I am tired of seeing the crotch of certain musical artists that I have don't even bother watch their music videos. It would have to be that I'm listening to the radio to realize that a particular song is theirs.

You may laugh at because I will support the Caribbean artists but if I don't like the content - lyrically or in the video, there are options - listen on MySpace or not at all. I can limit the garbage that I am exposed to and everyone has a tolerance level for nonsense.

I miss the days of Troop, Bel Biv Devoe, Jagged Edge, Lil Mo, Tweet etc.

ribbon

No comments: