Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fun in Wiriting - Add Some Literary Devices

Metaphors and similies are necessary to lighten or brighten the English language. Otherwise, we would be saying that the cat looks like a feline. Doesn't it sound better to say that the cat is sly like a fox or that the cat was slow like a turtle? I guess we can even say the cloud sings or the trees howl. It just really makes the English language funny and I can add creative elements to my poetry.

We use literary devices to enhance our writing. Sometimes, people overuse common ones which can be considered cliches. I don't think I'm much of a metaphor user. I use more alliteration, rhyming, a little onomatopoeia, short lines or other techniques in my poetry. I write articles, press releases, speeched and blog entries but not much story/fiction.

I think that's a good challenge for me! I am going to experiment with fiction in short stories. Readers and followers, please be sure to leave me a comment so I can continue to improve.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!