Sunday, October 16, 2011

Food Prices, Crisis and Keeping My Home Stable

FAO choose a correct theme for World Food Day 2011. The theme is "Food Prices - From Crisis to Stability." However, unless a country is producing enough food to ensure its food security, the prices will be primarily subject to external factors. We, the consumers, are hardest hit when climate change, oil wars, invasions, economic downturns and the like increase the cost of food.

We also have to make better choices and by this I mean healthier choices. The first cry becomes healthier means more expensive. One of the Health Care Advocates who visited our PTA meeting reminded us that eating well today saves on medical bills in the future.

I look at fast food and compared it to the healthier choices. If I can get three apples or oranges for $1.00 then that's only $0.33 for each apple. A bag of cheetos is more than $0.50. One store has ripe bananas for $0.79 per pound. One banana does not weigh one pound and it may only weigh a quarter of a pound. My only problem with bananas is that my children will squash them in the bags but I can always cut them up.

I love shrimp but shrimp is not a necessity. Salmon can be considered a need because it is an excellent source of protein. However, you have to shop within your budget to try to get ahead. Things like ketchup, sugar etc, the staples, can be sought through comparison shopping for the best deal.

I learned that if I want my nice fresh produce to be used and not wasted, I need to turn it into fast food. I do not mean by frying! I take the grapes off the stems, wash them and store in a zipper bag. I cut up my lettuce and store the same way. I try my best to season my fish and meats immediately and store in the same matter.

I think more people need to try the green thumb method. Plant some herbs, tea bush, peppers or tomatoes to save and to also eat healthy.

We have to find ways to keep healthy while still saving and enjoying life!

 I have registered for Blog Action Day 2011. Join me in the global discussion about Food. http://bit.ly/BAD11

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!