Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Real Ribbon - My Journey....Credit Cards, No Car etc....

I have learned the hard way in some cases but I have also learned to fix problems before they get out of hand. When I first ventured into the thought of home ownership, I talked to an architect about going forward. His bill alone was almost the half the cost of the property. I did not want to empty my savings at the time so I went into a local bank and told them I wanted the loan for the amount. They declined me and said I didn't have enough job history.

I was deflated and annoyed. I had my credit card and I took a cash advance. I was always savvy with credit cards and I knew I could do a balance transfer when the time was right and I got a good interest rate. I was able to make the transfer after but I still had to knock down that bill. Having worked in banks, as a teller and in the loans department, I realized how important it is to be credit card savvy. In addition to the charge for the house plans, I had charged other items. I worked my hardest to clear those outstanding balances in a reasonable time. I then closed my credit cards. I made a decision that if I cannot afford something, then I don't need it.

Plus, I have more responsibilities now so I can't be racking up big balances. I have to be wise. I have to meet my priorities first. I don't have much furniture and no full closets but I don't really care. I know that even though it continues to be a struggle, I need to meet my monthly commitments. I don't have a car either and that was a tough decision at the time. While, I am not happy about being able to move when I want, I just can't afford it right now.

I am plain and real. I don't see why more people are not realistic on this level. I am a thrift store shopper. I think if I hadn't made these 'radical' choices, I would not be where I am today.

Life is about our choices. Sometimes we make bad ones but we have to get over it and move forward with our lives. So be real with yourself. If you are in over your head, sell the junk, sell the house you can't pay for and get credit counselling.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!