Thursday, February 17, 2011

Why I Love John Legend

Hit Music

I love any artist that steps out of the normal realm of popular music. Singers like Tanya Stephens, Queen Ifrica and Usher bring new fresh music with amazing instrumentals and tight lyrics.

John Legend sings a lot about infidelity and the perils of love. His music gives that neo-soul feel with the infusion of actual instruments especially the piano - like in the intro of the song "Get Lifted" and everyone's favorite "Ordinary People".

He tells it to us straight like in "Used to Love You". He gets upbeat and hip hop in "Green Light". He gets hard with his Grammy wins by collaborating with the "Roots". He goes reggae with Buju Banton in "Can't Be My Lover" and with Estelle in "No Other Love". In "I Can Change" he links with Snoop Dogg and claims that he can change his cheating ways.

While some people may say, why would you want to hear songs about cheating, this is a part of life. Poetry in music is designed to express the stresses - the realities that people are facing daily. Relationships are a fundamental part of our daily life and music can help to give us some enjoyment from the stress.

As a poet, I seek music with interesting and deep lyrics which are outside of the norm. I may listen to Rhianna or Beyonce, but mainly because of the beat first because I do love to dance. I'll add that my favorite Beyonce song is "Me, Myself & I" because it was enjoyable listening to it and watching the video.

However, I love John Legend's style and his flavor of music. He truly is an Evolver because he always brings something fresh. When I first heard "Green Light" I could not believe the guy who sang the quiet "Ordinary People" could get so 'funkdafied' - but I love the song!

Kudos to John Legend for giving us good music!

Evolver

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!