Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stepping Towards Your Educational Goals - Think SWOT

We all need to celebrate each other's accomplishments. I am proud of co-worker Theodore James, who was able to achieve his BS. Kudos to TJ!

As I think about my days at the BVI Community College, now the HL Stoutt Community College, UVI and then at Cornell University, I see my growth and progress towards adulthood. My Facebook status today is "I'm executing a master plan" and the steps I took towards attaining my higher education have taken me this far and I know that while God grants me life, his overall plan may take me further.

Education is important whether you aim for a certification in your trade or a Masters or Bachelors Degree. However, you have to chart your plan while looking at your strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes. Everyone wants to be successful so while we want to live on the edge and have fun all day, we still need to take careful consideration when making decisions that will affect our lives in the future.

And YES, you should look at yourself through the lens of a SWOT! When I entered UVI in 1995, my Strengths were my math skills, being friendly and diligent. My Weaknesses were my not-so-good english skills and lack of guidance. The Opportunities were everywhere because UVI offered good professors, diverse students, various organizations and a sound curriculum. The biggest Threat was fear of failure.

Whether you are aiming to be an attorney, a mechanic, a hair-stylist or a nanny, get your papers - degree or certification and stay abreast of changes/updates in your profession. Don't let the unseen threats hold you back because you will only live in regret if you do try!


ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!