Thursday, July 21, 2011

"We From De VI" - words from Nick Daddy Friday



The Awesome Jam Band was lead by Nick "Daddy" Friday who died on October 4, 2005. Jam Band sang a Calypso songs that had us bouncing, shaking, rumbling, tumbling and even indicating like a car.

Although it has been close to six years since his passing, his voice is missed and his songs are still played. I can remember attending several jouverts in Tortola for East End Festival and also in Road Town. I sweated, I jammed and I enjoyed that music from Daddy Friday. I can remember when there was tension with the other local bands throughout the united Virgin Islands - Imaginations Brass, Seventeen Plus, Prime Time, Adjik, Violators and later on Showtime and Extreme Band.

Our Calypso has come a long way but the oldies are still great. I play "Horse Chip" and "Inspection Lane" for my children and they love that. We dance just as if we were in the jouvert live.

Rest In Peace Daddy Friday. Your legacy makes the young soca and calypso artists work even harder.

2 comments:

Howell said...

Oh Lord do I miss home. St. Croix is and will forever be my home.

Words of Ribbon by knots76 said...

I know how it is to miss home. At least you can find a lot of songs, videos and pics on the internet today.

2024 Happy Mother's Day!