Monday, April 18, 2011

Reggae Artists Collaborations in Hip Hop, R&B and Pop

Reggae artists have worked with artists such as Mick Jagger, Beyonce, No Doubt and Janet Jackson in collaborations to produce chart topping songs.


Reggae music and its artists are versatile and have proven this by collaborating in songs with artists from other genres. Artists such as Peter Tosh, Shabba Ranks and Baby Cham among others have worked with R&B, Hip Hop and Pop artists to produce songs that are loved internationally.

Big Hits Featuring Reggae Artists
The list of reggae artists who have teamed with artists from other genres to write and sing would be very long. The following songs are well-loved and include classics from Peter Tosh, Patra and Shabba Ranks as well as more recent music from John Legend and Sean Paul.
  • Peter Tosh and Mick Jagger: "(You Got to Walk And) Don't Look Back" is a reggae song about moving forward from bad relationships. "(You Got to Walk And) Don't Look Back" came from Tosh's 1978 album, Bush Doctor. Both of these powerful artists sang in the chorus, "so if you just put your hands in mine/ we're gonna leave all our troubles behind/ you got to walk and don't look back".
  • Patra and YoYo: Patra and Yoyo sang "Romantic Call" from Patra's 1993 Queen of the Pack. Patra sings in the chorus "I'm on a romantic call, talking to my baby down a mi yard" and other lyrics include "phone call loving help when you feel lonely/ him can tell you things make you feel sexy". "Take your hands and wrap them round my waist/ cause I know that you can't wait" chants YoYo in her rap. There was a cameo of Tupac Shakur in the music video for "Romantic Call".
  • Shabba Ranks and KRS-One: "The Jam" by Shabba Ranks featuring KRS-One was released on Shabba's As Raw As Ever album in 1991. KRS-One is known for his lyrical flow and had lyrics like "taking titles/ breaking idols/ the lyrics I chant in your head are like vitals" and "Boogey Down Productions specialize in classics/ cause all the others specialize in plastics" in "The Jam".
  • John Legend and Buju Banton: John Legend's "Can't Be My Lover" comes from the No Other Love / Can't Be My Lover - Cool Breeze Mixes album released in 2009. "I got my bird in the eye why chase one in the sky" chants Buju Banton as Legend sings "over and over, over again... I tried to tell her no. no, no, I already have a friend".
  • Baby Cham and Alicia Keys:  Baby Cham released "Ghetto Story" with Alicia Keys in 2006 on his album with the same title, Ghetto Story. Alicia chants in the song, "I remember the days when I went to bed hungry/ all I ever ate was white rice and honey". Some of Baby Cham's lyrics are "…when me and momma bed was a big piece of foam/ and me never like bathe and my hair never comb".
  • Damien 'Jr. Gong' Marley and Bobby Brown: "Beautiful" is a sultry song by Damien 'Jr. Gong' Marley featuring Bobby Brown of New Edition. Coming from Marley's 2005 Welcome To Jamrock, "Beautiful" is a dedication to a lovely lady of good character. "She's the only queen the king is designating" and "she don't have no scratches only beauty spots" are some of Marley's lyrics.
  • Barrington Levy and Shyne:  Barrington Levy was featured on two songs from Shyne's 2000 self-titled album, "Bonnie and Shyne" and "Bad Boy". In both songs, Levy adds his flavor and he was featured in both music videos.
Collaborations with Beenie Man
Beenie is considered one of the most popular reggae artists. He has collaborated with other reggae artists and also with Janet Jackson and Mya.
  • "Girls Dem Sugar": Beenie Man's Art & Life album in 2000 carried a special song, "Girls Dem Sugar" featuring the songstress Mya. Beenie Man had already coined the phrase "girls dem sugar" in "Who Am I" from his 1997 album, Many Moods of Moses.
  • "Feel It Boy": "Feel It Boy" came from Beenie Man's 2002 Tropical Storm. Janet sings the hook and Beenie Man tells the story in his chant. He starts the song off with "whenever I got no money/ she's still my honey" and Janet sings in part of the chorus "let's forget everything and everybody/ let's just have a party, me and you".
Reggae Collaborations with No Doubt
No Doubt featuring Gwen Stefani collaborated with Bounty Killer and Lady Saw on their 2001 album Rock Steady.
  • "Hey Baby":  Bounty Killer, known for his hard lyrics in songs like "Sufferah" and "Fed Up" from his 2002 Ghetto Dictionary: The Mystery album, sang with No Doubt in "Hey Baby". Some of Bounty Killer's lyrics in "Hey Baby" are "when you rock your hips you know it amaze me...can you be my one and only sunshine lady" and he is featured in the music video.
  • "Underneath It All":  Lady Saw joined with No Doubt in "Underneath It All", a mellow song with classic reggae and pop undertones. Stefani sings in the chorus "you're really lovely, underneath it all/ you want to love me, underneath it all". Part of Lady Saw's chant is "underneath it all you are my real prince charming/ like the heat from the fire you are always burning". Lady Saw does not appear in this video. This song appeared in the 2004 romantic comedy 50 First Dates headlined by Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.
Collaborations with Sean Paul
Sean Paul has collaborated with several major artists including Busta  Rhymes in the "Gimme The Light Remix" and "Make It Clap", Blu Cantrell, Keisha Cole, Keri Hilson and Beyonce.
  • "Give It Up To Me": Coming from the movie, Step Up (2006), Sean Paul sings "Give It Up to Me" with R&B songstress, Keisha Cole. Sean Paul chants "first place a where you belong" and "why can't you see, we ought to be together/ girl don't front on me". Lyrics from Keisha Cole include "as a woman on my own, I got it going on/ I'm liking what I see and I don't want to be alone".
  • "Hold My Hand (I'll Be There): "Hold My Hand (I'll Be There) features [Keri Hilson](http://www.kerihilson.com) and comes from Sean Paul's 2009 Imperial Blaze album. "Girl you know I care, so if you ever lose your way/ don't have no fear" is part of the chorus that Sean Paul sings. Lyrics from Hilson include "and I never would disrespect boy/ I love you straight to my last breath".
Reggae is a genre that is never stagnant. The artists are talented and have and will continue to collaborate with artists from other genres to give the special flavor to the music that people love.

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!