Thursday, April 7, 2011

If I'm in the Right Mood, You Might Get the Busy Signal

From looking through my blog, you will notice that I am a big fan of music. Reggae is one of my favorite genres but I also enjoy R&B and Hip Hop. I pretty much prefer the old school R&B and Hip Hop to the sometimes tasteless and lyrically empty music that is heard on the airwaves today.

I don't mind the bubblegum music but I will not buy it because it's not lasting music. You forget them when the gum is chewed. Looking back, some people may have called Hip Hop a passing fad but it has lasted. Unfortunately, the artists are becoming more empty and materialistic so many of them are passing through as the hot topic today and forgotten tomorrow. Some very talented artists have resorted to showing skin or chat trash so that their music can be noticed. For some, like Common, they stick to their style of music but try to infuse new beats to that enhance the lyrical content and flow.

Reggae also has its passing fads because building star power in the Caribbean is one thing but making it in the US and UK is another level. I love Sean Paul's style although he is more on the dancehall tip. His voice is different but I realize he's not the best dancer. He made a successful crossover to the US and UK and continues to bring some great hits.

Reggae artists who have a lot to offer include Busy Signal, Queen Ifrica, Richie Spice, Jah Cure, Etana, Alaine and Tarrus Riley. Of course I must mention Pressure and Niyorah from the USVI, Romain Virgo, Lutah Fyah etc who I love as well. I can not say that these artists write their lyrics but if they do, kudos on great lyrical content.

Reggae is mellow yet racy and uplifting ...with a great beat. The lyrics have gone past uprising, mellow moods and fire burning. Reggae's content has touched every vice and every thing that is good. Pull some records from Marley, Tosh, Isaacs, Miller, Hill and so forth. Then pull some Tanya Stevens, Lady Saw, Movado etc and see that reggae and dancehall is the Caribbean voice even when there is a negative voice spoken.

So if I'm in the right mood, you might get Busy Signal's music when you visit me - physically or via internet.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!