Friday, March 16, 2012

My Try at Short Fiction

I awakened to a horrible sound. It croaked, it creaked and it growled. I could not figure out what it was but I was afraid. I huddled under my covers, fearful to leave the room. I pondered on what to do. Should I get up or should I lay down.

The sound continued. CREAK! CROAK! BRRRR! I decided that I would face the consequences but not without my little pickaxe. I grabbed it from under my bed and lightly walked into the hallway and headed for the front room. I did not bother to turn on the lights because I did not want to startle whatever was in the house. I tiptoed, barely breathing, into the living room and to my surprise, there was nothing or noone there.

But there it was again - CREAK, CROAK, GRRRR! I started to consider if my septic was crumbling or if a cow had fallen below the house. I summed up some more courage and I stepped outside. I looked over the porch and at the side of the house but I could see nothing. I ventured into the yard and as the motion lights came on, my eyes just met the dark and cold night.

I gave up and went back to bed. In the morning, I realized that my son figured out how to watch a movie on my laptop and that's where the noise was coming from. He is grounded for two months!

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!