Sunday, November 27, 2011

Getting to Know Me

I know who I am and what I like. Many people struggle with knowing themselves and until they can truly become one with themselves, they won't know where to go. It hurts me to hear that young women are increasingly becoming involved in illegal drugs. That is truly hard to swallow.

I know that life is stressful right now and people barely want to help. I still feel that there are other ways to survive. There's a commercial for Allstate where the announcer mentions that someone is on a 'Ramen Noodle' diet. Three Ramen noodles are $1.05 in the BVI. If you can afford one can of vienna sausage that's still $0.90 or sardine or tuna fish, you can mix it up. Add one carrot, one tomato or some beets and it's even more colorful. We have to find ways to survive.

I think these problems go very deep. Drug abuse may stem from depression which could be caused by a host of issues. We have some way to seek help without turning to the bottle or the pill or the pipe. This is harder when there are children involved. People are getting more desperate and make life more uncomfortable for many of us. I see young men begging for $1.00 and this sickens me. However, I do not know the circumstance. It could be an untreated mental issue or an adverse reaction to a legal or illegal drug.

There's a lot of work for the leaders and community workers. However, we as a community have to teach our children right from wrong and instill solid values in them. If we do not intercede now for the little ones then there will be much more begging and getting high in the future.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!