Thursday, April 17, 2008

Some Choice Words


I am down to earth. What does that mean? I am short? I am live in Australia? No, No - it means that I am cool, friendly and accepting of new people and new ideas. So why term it 'down to earth?' English is really a crazy language. 

 Even to say I am 'cool' today does not mean neither in between warm and cold. It means, I am nice and helpful. 'She cool man, she will help you cause she got my back'. 'Got your back'? She took your 'back'? Then how are you standing straight? No, she will help me in what ever way I need, like a good 'hook-up'. (Holler if you hear me!) So she's going to hang me or gut me, then - hook-up? I don't think so. She knows ways to make things easier so you don't have the hassle, kind of like a facilitator. (Or is she aiding and abetting?) 

 You better check your cool, down to earth hook-up cause she may not have your back when the thing hits the fan. O man, more twisted words - this language is ridiculous. Can we speak for one day without using these terms? We are so accustomed of twisting the language and adopting phrases from other dialects and cultures that many things we say will get lost in translation. [no pun intended].

 It is most important to know how to speak professionally in an office setting versus speaking with family and friends. Read more (read my blog) and write more - not just social media writing. It will help you to maintain the balance. Persons who are supervisors and management should still type certain correspondence for themselves. 

I have been lucky to have superiors who have a command of grammar but I know persons who have 'airheads' for bosses. The airheads are the worst because they can't write nor spell. So, what's an airhead? I think that the connotation is quite clear - emptyheaded, ditsy, asea, dumb .........

ribbon

No comments: