Friday, April 4, 2008

My Name is.......



My name is simple. Someone said my name sounds old and boring and it suits me.

According to http://www.thinkbabynames.com/, the meaning is "idol; a small songbird". It may not be popular now but hey, I learned to spell it quickly and I love it.

These days, we play with combinations or parents names or we make them up and that is cool. What parents should be mindful of is Elementary and High School classmates who can be cruel and twist people's names around. I am very good at ignoring idiots so they can twist away. However, we should teach children the meaning and origin of their names so that they can appreciate it and defend it.

I am BLACK DIAMOND to the bone. I did not understand the name at first but it has inspired me and I wrote a poem about my grandfather, the original BLACK DIAMOND. See VI Callaloo: Poems from the Caribbean to read it. Actually everyone in my grandfather's lineage is proud to be a BLACK DIAMOND descendant. My children will be taught to appreciate it as well.

A nickname like BLACK DIAMOND is good but to call yourself Toilet Paper or Soot or Dirt is just ridiculous. I prefer not to use a nickname. People cut my name short and then it's like they are calling my dad since my name is a derivative of my dad's. When he comes by, he is quick to correct them. GO DAD!

Check yourself - check your name - don't let anyone call you down!

No comments: