Saturday, April 26, 2008

The POET in ME

I took a week off from writing in my blog and I ended up wiriting more poetry. So I think I need a good balance in my writing. Check this out:

My jeans tell the story of time
As we walk down the runway line
Bell-bottoms
Stone-wash
high waisted
and low rise
Pleated front
And faded
From back then to now
The fashion shows
That fashion comes
And goes
And comes back
And is unique
To each soul


I have just been playing around with words a lot more and have been able to think of topics and compose. I feel like I have grown as a writer. I guess too that since I am the one coming up with the topics, there is no pressure to write in a certain way or to focus to a certain audience.

I typically don't like to write for competitions or when asked to perform at certain events unless I have a piece or pieces already written on that theme. What I hate more is when the persons asking you to perform request that you include certain ideas or issues in the poem. Excuse me, you should have written the poem yourself then. Let my inspiration flow and work in the theme. Anything else is forced and shows in the performance.

I wrote a piece for my sister's wedding and I did not even try to rhyme - I played with a concept and it worked and I was happy with it.

Of course, I love writing happy pieces but I have a piece to write for my great aunt's funeral and it does make me sad. I plan to word it not as a 'missing you' piece but as a higlight of her accomplishments. I may share that one with you.

I didn't create this blog to share poetry. I created it to improve my writing overall. I guess the poet in me must share a piece every now and then.

ribbon

No comments: