Monday, April 7, 2008

What, Hair? Wear....

A woman's hair is her crown. A black woman's hair is her glory. Yet, when you look around today, many black women are unhappy with their roots.

Why does no one like their curly/kinky hair? Straight and afro weaves are more commended and adorned. Hairdressers and braiders blow dry hair straight to make the corn rows look better. When did we give up our crowns to look like other races?

All of a sudden, my braids are not good enough for work or a wedding. Have the lye and no-lye relaxers burned black women's brain cells? I think my knots, braids, or afro look great every day. Everyone wants to live in the norms and look like Britney Spears or Tyra Banks. I don't mind standing out.

All I am saying is 'do yours' and I'll 'do mine.' If I don't fit your norms, then so what? 'Oh you know in the States, you can't get a job with your hair like that!' Have you seen my credentials and my experience? Have you seen me in an interview? As my good poet Oren said, "it's Neither Hair nor There."

So who cares about my hair? If you have to have a conversation about my hair or me, that means I am important. It doesn't take anything off of me.

Big up to the natural hair, dreads, cornrow, bongo-wearing ladies - wear your crown proudly!


ribbon

No comments: