Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Thoughts on September 11, 2012

As I sit and reflect today, on my birthday, there is a lot going on. Today, we mark the date when thousands of persons lost their lives in the United States because of terroism. I was sitting by my desk enjoying my birthday and then I got a phone call that a plane it the World Trade Center. Then another plane hit the other tower and it became history. This is the type of history that no one will ever forget. It was truly a very sad moment especially when we consider the advancements that we have contrived; yet we are still so hateful. May God continue to comfort those who lost family members.

I have marked another milestone and as I reflect on my life and what I have and have not accomplished, I am OK. I think that I am a work in progress still who has never really set a life plan. I know that there are certain things that I wanted and still want; so I will reach for these things. Professionally, I am still growing and will continue to do my best. There is a lot of work that needs to be done and I want to play a more active role in making things happen in my community. However, I have to put my family first. My children are young and in need of continuously molding.

I am not a perfect parent but I impress certain values. I don't stand for foolishness and I let the children know that. I have no time for petty bickering especially when each goes out and embraces others who sometimes do not even care for them. I won't give up though.

Today someone posted on Facebook about the persons that inspire him. I liked his choices. I also said that Bob Marley and Nelson Mandela inspired me. Marley for his poetry and Mandela for his perseverence. I added that my parents and grandparents inspire me the most because they have left a postive legacy for me and my children. They are hardworking, energetic, kind, passionate, survivors and thinkers. So why should I be a bother to anyone today when they have given me so much - not the financial input but the leadership and guidance.

I have no choice but to be vigilant. I have no choice but to be hardworking. I have no choice but to think on my feet and make change. This is my legacy and as I mark another birthday, I pledge to do my best and to be the best me that I can be. If that means I have to be hard on my children when they do wrong, then that's what it is.

Thanks to everyone for the birthday greetings. Happy Birthday to all my fellow September 11 buddies.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!