Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Journey in the Working World


When I look at my resume, I smile because of the varied experience I have been able to attain since my first on-the-job experience in 1992. I was a trainee for one month at a utility department. I remember the great comraderie there but not being sure if I wanted to really work in a place like that. Some of the same staff are there today working with the same momemtum I met them with almost 20 years ago. 

My next experience came for the two-week job training program and I'm guessing I was an over-achiever because it bored me to death. In 1993, there was high school graduation and I found a nice job in an accounting firm. There was no QuickBooks to use - just manual work. I got another offer at a bank and they were enticing me with a bigger salary and benefits so I ran.

I worked in the bank for two years and then decided, 'it's time to go to college!' I saw people who were in the bank for over 10 years and watched newcomers take higher positions. I decided that was not for me and I headed to UVI! My first semester at UVI was the longest stint that I have been unemployed.

As the second semester started, I found myself a job on campus. I kept that job until I graduated. I also had another parttime job in a video store during my senior year because I do love a good and legal hustle. After graduating, I got what was supposed to be my dream job at an advertising firm.

However, I've always been the child who seeks opportunity. I saw an application for a scholarship to go to Cornell University. I applied and was shortlisted. I travelled to Jamaica and then got a crazy phone call that I won the scholarship. Resignation letter, packed bags and moving out of my appartment were on the top of my list.

I headed to Ithaca and spent a year at Cornell's Hotel School. Of course as I set foot in Ithaca, I started looking for a job. Afterall, studying is never enough for me. I got a great job on campus and I learned a lot while I was there. During the summer, I decided that I would stay in Ithaca and take on the massive challenge of three parttime jobs and regular gym attendance.

That was a glorious time until I practically burned myself out going back and forth to the three jobs. I survived it all though and that was a piece of cake compared to coming back to the BVI's job market. I actually sought for a position in the USVI but was unlucky. I travelled to the BVI and sent out some applications and got called for interviews.

I actually refused a position and took another at a supermarket. I realized that I hated being a personal assistant. I can do it well but I hate it. So by the fourth month, a Govt. entity called me and I sailed away. Unfortunately, that job description was not the actual job and I found myself stuck, depressed and hating going to work. After my second year, I resigned because I thought that it was unfair that my contributions were not up to par in my mind.

I sought another job after resigning and was lucky to get a job in a law firm. This worked well for six years. Law is not my thing at all. It's like being a personal assistant for me, I can do it but it's not my thing. Plus for upward mobility, there was only so much that I could do.

So today, I work for another Government entity and while things change, they still remain the same in most cases. I do what I can and I try to work with everyone. I am stubborn at times but I try my best to be the best 'human being' that I can be.

You may say that I have had a lot of jobs but I say the experience is important and pertinent to my entire life.  Every job gave me an insight into something new and afforded me the opportunity to meet new people.

I have decided that no one can take my shine and I refuse to hide my talents.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!