Friday, January 28, 2011

R&B of the 1990s: Anytime by Brian McKnight

Anyone who enjoys R&B music is familiar with music from Brian McKnight. The album Anytime was his third album with songs like "Anytime" and "Hold Me."

Brian McKnight is an award winning R&B artist who has released several albums and hosts a talk show. He released his third album Anytime in 1997 with Mercury Records. Anytime has 12 songs including "The Only One for Me" and "Show Me the Way Back to Your Heart."

The Talented Brian McKnight - Singer and TV Show Host
Brian McKnight released his first album, the self-titled Brian McKnight in 1992 with songs like "One Last Cry" and "After the Love." Since his entry to the music industry, according to his official website, McKnight has released 11 albums to date, seven of them have gone platinum, with several going two and three times platinum, and has sold over 20 Million albums worldwide. Other albums include Back At One in 1999, Gemini in 2005, Ten in 2006 and I'll Be Home for Christmas in 2008. His success continues with his performances in theatre productions and with his The Brian McKnight Show television talk show.

Sweet R&B Music on McKnight's Anytime
Anytime has mostly love songs and one track that is a bit more of a gospel flavor, the last track "When the Chariot Comes". This album includes "Everytime We Say Goodbye", "Jam Knock" which contains an interpolation from "I Can't Wait" performed by Nu Shooz, "I Belong To You" and "You Got the Bomb".
  • The Title Track "Anytime": "Do I ever cross your mind, anytime / do you ever wake up reaching out for me" begin the chorus on "Anytime" which was written by Brian McKnight and Brandon Barnes. This song is about the emptiness after a relationship breaks apart.
  • "You Should Be Mine (Don't Waste Your Time)" with Mase: "You Should Be Mine (Don't Waste Your Time)" was produced by Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs who also co-wrote with McKnight, Mase, Ron Lawrence and other writers. This song also contains a sample from the legendary James Brown's "I Got Ants in My Pants" in the instrumental. McKnight sings "I'll never let you down, I'll always be around / and you should be mine." Mase chimes in the rap "And I know he ain't the cat that will stay in your life" to help McKnight express that the leading lady should leave her partner to date him.
  • "Everytime We Say Goodbye": In "Everytime We Say Goodbye", McKnight sings of the heartache in long distance relationships. McKnight wrote this song with sample lyrics "This long distance has us living on the phone / every since you went away / I just can't get through a day."
  • "The Only One For Me": This is one of McKnight's songs that shows his talent and vocal range. McKnight wrote "The Only One For Me" and it expresses love's infinite power. The first chorus begins "I want you now, I'll show you how / I can be the man you need me to be."
  • "I Belong To You": Peter Black wrote, produced and arranged "I Belong To You." Black also played all the instruments. The touching hook captivates the listener with words like "Until I feel your heartbeat pounding next to mine / I got work to do / 'til every single star up in the sky / knows that I belong to you."
  • "Hold Me": Mary J. Blige had lyrical input in "Hold Me" and the song contains an interpolation from Tupac's "I Get Around" and Zapp's "Computer Love". A sample of the lyrics is "is it lust or love, either one will do / 'cause I want you for myself, and nobody else."
Brian McKnight has been able to achieve success with his music since the early 1990s and now his talk show is also a success. His albums give R&B fans mellow music with touching lyrical content and an enjoyable flow. 

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!