Sunday, December 19, 2021

Our Differing Perspectives and Going Forward on Your Journey


While I was going through my garden this morning, I thought about a conversation with a colleague. I encouraged the person to participate in activities and events outside their scope to stay on the radar for promotions or other opportunities. My colleague responded that prior performance should speak for itself. I also understood that perspective.

I also reflected on a recent post by Joan Underwood that she shared about relationship building blocks. Joan related that an action she took, which most persons consider good practice, was not well received by a colleague. She complimented a team member during a meeting, but the colleague preferred a more subtle form of recognition.

As I considered Joan's post, my random thoughts included:
  1. I need to be more considerate of my colleagues' feelings.
  2. Have I been getting too involved in activities outside of my scope?
  3. Can we rely on past experiences to propel our future advancement?
  4. Have I been too pushy to colleagues?
  5. How can we continue to foster a development culture?
While I understand my colleague, I think that continuing to get involved in activities outside of your job description is helpful once your work does not suffer. Since I re-joined the Public Service in the British Virgin Islands in 2009, I have participated in numerous activities. I am very thankful for the opportunities because I achieved a Master of Public Administration degree and my current appointment. I serve as a testimony of the benefits of getting involved and stepping outside of my job description.

I don't expect another persons' journey to be the same as mine. Everyone develops differently, has different backgrounds and ideals, and has varying values. The nature of your area of work may bring opportunities within your current job or for entrepreneurship. You have to continue your journey.

What has worked for me?
  • knowing when to say no
  • being open to working outside my job description
  • being open to learning
  • making connections within my agency and outside
  • remaining professional
  • remaining customer-focused
  • trying to take others on the growth journey
  • treating everyone with respect
Continue to shine in your area. If you get an opportunity to share your talents in another area temporarily, try it! If you struggle in your area, ask for help or development, or consider asking for reassignment. You may not be the right fit for that role, and it is okay. Look for those growth opportunities on or off the job, and always do your best!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Self examination on a quest for sound answers.


After your trospection, I admire the way you have created a balance to restore calm to life.

Yes, we need to test the waters around us to ensure what we can handle within or outside the parameters of our comfort zones.

2024 Happy Mother's Day!