Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Words are Powerful: How Do You Use Your Tongue?

Do you think that there is power in your tongue?

The Bible gives us several references about our tongues and the power they possess. Read:
  • 1 Peter 3:10: For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech...."
  • Proverbs 10:19: Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues.
  • Proverbs 15:4: The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit.
  • Proverbs 21:23: Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.
Although we have multiple translations of the Bible, we should have no difficulty understanding what these verses and other similar ones are saying. We ought to keep our conversations positive and refrain from defamation, negativity, and gossip.

I take this advice even more seriously because we impact people with the things that we say. While we may want to deny it, the people in our circle play a role in influencing our choices or aversions. Due to the nature of the interaction, our educators, religious leaders, coworkers, and social media contacts impact us more than we think.

Education System
Do you remember that teacher who saw your potential and encouraged you to try something? I fondly remember joining an English Literature class at the University of the Virgin Islands - apprehensive because I struggled with Literature in High School. The lecturer, Dr. Vincent Cooper, awakened my interest in the subject because he was engaging. He asked us to write a few poems for assignments, for which I was not confident. However, surprisingly, he gave me positive feedback and encouraged me to keep writing. Twenty-five years later, I have a catalog of several hundred poems.

Conversely, we have friends and colleagues who have had opposite experiences with educators. The words that we utter to others, especially young people, can have lasting effects. I know someone who recalls the negative words spoken about his ability to learn. Thankfully, he persevered and has become a positive role model to others. Therefore, we need to ensure that we need to remember our purpose in developing others.

Workplace
I thrive in a workplace where my talents are recognized, encouraged, and developed. I do not want my manager to micromanage, and I never want to be an overbearing manager. Unfortunately, we have managers who berate employees and harbor a toxic atmosphere in the workplace. Even a positive and energetic employee will eventually break or leave. I remember visiting an establishment and hearing the manager cursing the employees. I was very embarrassed. Most of the employees left eventually because the manager did not understand how to communicate.

Employees do underperform, waste resources or do not follow instructions. However, leaders need to communicate with their teams! Yelling or insulting employees will not help them improve; instead, they will resign or retaliate.

Religion
I know you may be surprised because I started the article with scriptures. However, we have a few persons in these organizations who can be brutal too. We often feel that we are frank, but most often, we are mean. We disapprove of superficial things like appearance, ability or inability to pay tithes, denomination, career choice, ethnicity, or family heritage. Instead, we need to be more inclusive, understanding, and encouraging. I will take constructive criticism over an insult. What about you? I am not saying that religious leaders should condone what they know to be immoral, unethical, or illegal in their congregations. They should be nurturing the adherents to live right by being excellent role models in their words and actions.

Social Media
Social Media has enabled us to take freedom of speech to another level. People feel they can say anything, tag anyone and make other persons look bad. Sometimes, I see persons post experiences or ask questions, and they are insulted or scolded. I never post a negative response; I either send a private message or provide an answer to assist them.
 
I am not perfect. I get annoyed with people (more often lately), especially when I know they know better. I try not to hurt them, but sometimes, I have to be blunt. I have people insult my choices, my hair, my work, and my poetry. However, I learned a long time ago that my happiness is not determinant on anyone else. I have grown to understand that my words are powerful, and if I use them correctly, I can be a catalyst for positive change.

Remember, you hold power in your speech. Do not push negative agendas or deter others from seeking to improve themselves. Use your words wisely to influence positive change!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this article. We really do need to be more mindful of how our words can impact others. It matters not whether the intention was to harm. It's the impact that counts. Your inclusion of the Biblical references serve to emphasize just how important this matter is.

Thanks again.

Joan

2024 Happy Mother's Day!