Saturday, September 11, 2021

Birthday Inspiration: Seven Insights I Have Gained as I Have Grown


I have not had a hard life. I have faced struggles; however, I was never hungry, homeless, or abused. I have made many mistakes. I have overthought, reacted too quickly, and upset people that I love. I have said things that I should not have said. I have also ignored issues or danced around them. I know I am not perfect, and I never strive to be. I aim to do my best, and I encourage others to excel. I have garnered many lessons along this journey, some of which I may have shared in this blog before.

This blog has helped me in several ways. I have improved my writing, expanded my poetry portfolio, and shared ideas. I wrote this post today on my birthday because I wanted to share some insights that I have gained. I welcome your responses and ideas.
  1. Sometimes, a hasty response is the right one. I know that we often react quickly and in anger. That quick reaction may have been what was needed! I'll caution you to read over a message before sending or think through a verbal response before speaking.
  2. If you are in customer service, respond to your customers! We also need timely responses that answer our questions and offer viable suggestions.
  3. Do encourage your children to dream, participate and shine in all they do. Foster their interests into entrepreneurial pursuits and let them perform community service - even more than their school requires. Also, inspire them to widen their scope and expertise by encouraging them to participate in competitions in their areas of interest.
  4. If you do your children's schoolwork, stop it. You are setting your children up for failure. Guide them, proofread, show examples and work with them step by step. Please do not do their work for them,
  5. Make a connection with your supervisor or manager. I am not saying to 'kiss up' or get romantically involved with your manager. Instead, ensure that you understand the expectations and you clarify yours. As I got older, I realized the importance of keeping the communication lines open with my managers. You do not have to share your private affairs. However, you need to let your manager know if something is happening that will affect your performance.
  6. COVID-19 has taught us that we are not immune to change and we must adapt. In February 2021, I was in denial about mask-wearing and school closures in the Caribbean. However, this pandemic has affected us greatly as we have lost loved ones. Therefore, we must adapt our culture and behaviors to survive and live. Follow the protocols to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
  7. Your growth and success depend on you! Many people wait for their families, teachers, the government, their managers, or religious leaders to help them to chart their future. These persons can guide, teach, coach, and mentor you, but you are responsible for your outcome. You have to put in the work to enjoy success. Get up and get started today!
I like to think of life as a journey with pitstops, pitfalls, and potholes. Every experience, good or bad, is a learning one. We all face struggles and challenges; however, our responses and coping ability get us through the problems. If you find that you cannot cope, please get help from your pastor, a trusted friend, or a counselor.

Engage in positive conversations and keep in touch with persons who are going to encourage your growth! Remember to recognize your struggles and work within and around them. Congratulate yourself for small wins! Laugh, dance, sing, and love!

Ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!