Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Hair Story



Ten years ago, I wrote a post on Facebook about black people not liking their natural hair. I said it based on what people said to me. I also said it because weave and braid sales remain high. I still see those perceptions and thought processes in how we treat our daughters' hair when they reach a certain age. This post is not about who is wrong or right. I know what chemicals did to my hair. Others have processed their hair for years, and they are fine. My advice is always to do what works for you.

Paraphrase of things people have said:

1. Friend: Why are you wearing your hair like that?
The same friend grew locks eventually.

2. Family member: Don't wear your hair like that.
Wearing hair like me now.

3. A Role Model: You need to change your hairstyle.
Switches between perm and natural from time to time.

4. Schools children to a child: When are you going to get braids or weave?
What?

I always say that our race is the one that has the worst thoughts about us. Somehow, we despise our kinky hair, dark skin, and buffness. I don't know why and have realized that this mindset may never change. Does it make any of us less than the others? No. It only becomes a problem when you try to debase another person because of how they look - something our race has been through at the hands of others.

So what's my point? Be the best you - comfortable in your skin, loving your hair, face, and body - just how you prefer.

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!