Monday, September 11, 2023

Book Review of "Flying 16" by Alexandra Psaropoulou

I first interacted with Alexandra Psaropoulou at an online poetry reading last year. Most poets recite their pieces during the recitals. However, Alexandra shared her screen to reveal intense yet soothing artistry while she read her poem. She also captured me with her performance because her voice was breathtaking. Alexandra composes her poetry with an immense vocabulary that often has me searching on Google for definitions.

During one of the more recent online poetry events, Alexandra shared that she has books available on Kindle. I logged on and searched for "Flying 16: New age, illustrated poetry books, taking the reader on an uplifting, spiritual flight. (The Flying series) [Print Replica]," which is part of her "Travelling beyond: Illustrated poetry books."

As I shared above, Alexandra's performance is encapsulating and energizing. As I read Flying 16, I imagined her voice performing the piece.

The poem begins,
 
"Do they know
the throbbing
of my aura
is shaped with
storms and sunrises..."


The author then takes the reader on a journey filled with beautiful and artistic displays as she wends her words and tells her story. This poem challenges the reader to consider spirituality, conscience, nature, empowerment, and self-awareness. Alexandra makes natural references to the "shimmering oceans" and "olive trees" while pushing your mind to wonder about "Gaia's expression of wedded earth and sky" and "Panentheism." The poem is rhythmic with its tone and references to instruments and other movements that can be musical.

The author shared that Flying 16 is "...a poetical, philosophical, metaphysical, linguistic journey."

"Do they know
the euphoria
of my triumphs
is shaped with
steel and devotion
pyrrhic dances
and ecstasies..."


Alexandra's work will challenge, amaze, and awaken you. She is a talented wordsmith who masterfully intertwines her words with art. I highly recommend her for her written work and performance.

1 comment:

Alexandra Books said...

I am so grateful for your kind comments dear friend.

2024 Happy Mother's Day!