Saturday, February 4, 2017

Inaction is not the Answer

I went to a policy workshop the other day and it was said that policy includes the action or inaction taken in relation to a problem. I am a publicofficer and the "inaction" part makes me smile. Actually, even in my personal life, I can see that inaction causes situations to become the norm. If I see my child doing something wrong, and I don't address it, the child will think that particular behavior or action is okay. I see it more when you get those reactions that "others are doing it so why can't I".

This lack of action is definitely not a good thing and it permeates the community. Somehow, we just don't like to address issues because of relationships. However, something has to give. My children will tell you that I will address their bad behaviors as soon as I can. If I don't, then they will go into the world feeling that no one should correct them. Where do people who think that way end up?

A lot of the lawlessness and slackness in the world can be attributed to the lack of inaction to address problems in the home, in the schools and in the workplace. I saw a situation where a student was hit by an object by another. The student who was hit hurled an expletive and was reprimanded and suspended. The student who hurled the object was not reprimanded in any way. Great action for the expletive but inaction for throwing the object.

I encourage you to take positive action where you have the power to. If you are not in a power position, then please bring attention to the issue.

Ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!