Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hair, Fear and other things


Some people like to see differences, and others prefer uniformity. I love to see people happy within their own skin. I love being black and petite, and I love my hair in its non-chemically processed state. Surprisingly, there are still black people in the Caribbean who feel straightened hair looks bette,r and it should be the choice of black women. What say you?

I say it's hair - it's just hair! The natural look may not suit every woman, and I will not tell any sister what she should do with her mane. The key thing with hair is care and cleansing. Nobody wants to smell funky hair, so it's important to wash your hair regularly and oil it as needed. To my people with dreadlocks - "Natty Dread, Rise Again." The oppression and discrimination against persons with locks have been crossed off the books, but seems to still be etched in the brains of certain folk.

Black, white, yellow, or pink - be yourself. We do not need to conform to the ideals of the slave masters that we have to pass to make the cut. Plus I am too dark to pass and it never crossed my mind because I have too much to do. I have a family to raise, a job to do, and a community to uplift, encourage, and inspire.

I threw away the Stuck In a Rut ideal because, as a 'Real Revolutionary', I prefer to 'kill' you with kindness to steer you my way than to argue. When I say Real Revolutionary, I don't mean that I am starting a riot. I am about positive change...even if it's a subtle change - a gradual positive movement. I am not a realist - I don't know what Real People are. We are just PEOPLE - all colors, shapes, and sizes.

Stop discriminating, hating, and belly-aching for stupidness, and be a Real Revolutionary and make positive change in our community and the world.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!