Tuesday, January 10, 2023

POEM: A Refugee Where I Pay Taxes


I am my ancestors' seed
I have DNA from a strong breed
I am a Black Diamond in the blood I bleed
I work hard to give my children all they need
yet I stand today
where millions chill and relax
as a refugee where I pay taxes
© Linette Rabsatt

As a poet and writer, I struggle with what I want to say (I can deliver what I need). Certain tenets dictate that I should remain quiet about things that concern me. However, I will never quiet my poetic voice.

This poem forms part of my 30 Second Inspiration shares that I post on Facebook. I wasn't trying to be creative or innovative with my words. It's all true. At another phase in life, I will have the opportunity to chronicle this story in plain words.

I work hard every day. I give it my best shot. I have felt like a martyr, refugee, and fool in 2022. However, I would not change anything I did. During those tough times, I would think of my grandmother/surrogate mother and the things she would say. She would speak about praying for people who did her bad things. She would use a lot of fables and local sayings to describe karma.

It's funny because I still think a green grasshopper means money is coming. I'm not superstitious, but if I see a black bee buzzing by, I look out for news from overseas. She was wise.

I continue to learn and grow from those wiser than I am. The tenets will dictate as they should. I will write and act as I should. Karma will evolve as it should. I'll keep my path positive to derive what I need for my family.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done ❤️👏👍

Anonymous said...

I really really like this piece. The words cut like a knife...and I'm bleeding with you sis

Anonymous said...

Hi! Knots. This piece says much with few words.
Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Nice firm vegetables/fruits!

2024 Happy Mother's Day!