Wednesday, July 13, 2022

POEM: values

too much praise and emphasis on
values
but not with the right measurements

measuring the costs and riches
without
feeding and educating the poor children

how will we know our history and build a
solid
foundation and the essential tools of life?

when we ignore the elders and nature and
relish
solely and strongly in things designed to blind us

to make us forget about our ancestors’ sacrifice, pride
and zest
all relayed to us in our culture and freedom

their unity and prosperity earned by their sacrifice
to teach
us values - not in measurements but in principles

© Linette Rabsatt

This poem is over ten (10) years old. I don't even know when I wrote it. I was looking for another piece and came across it. I never really shared it because I didn't think it was a good piece. When I read this poem today, I viewed it through different lenses. My concerns when I wrote this poem are the same or more stressful today. This poem is a simple piece that does not have many literary devices. Even with the one-word lines, there is no code or hidden message. By the way, I purposely wrote the title in lower case.

These are the reasons I love poetry. I get the opportunity to create something different every time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HiKnots,
Your poem may be over ten years old, but it applies to modern-day situations; VI is no exception.
Awesome

2024 Happy Mother's Day!