Sunday, July 24, 2022

My Brothers' Keepers: The Power of Influence and Inspiration


We are just over the midyear point of 2022. I feel so blessed to be alive, although we are experiencing some tough times. Despite the many challenges and threats, we still are blessed.

Over the past few weeks, I have focused more on poetry. I entered a few international competitions and have shared two pieces on my YouTube page. I wanted to do a little more with my poetry by expanding my audience. I had other thoughts I could share on the blog but was not inspired to write prose or opinion.

In addition to my family and work circles, I thank Ann Harikeerthan, Jamila Banister, Dale Pilgrim-Wade of the CaribHRForum, Genevra Maduro - my cousin, Paul Keefe, Dr. Allison Flax-Archer, Joan Underwood, and Dr. Dierdra Wheatley-Peters for always encouraging me during 2022 whether for poetry, career aspirations or my overall growth. We underestimate the importance of having people who encourage you to reach for your goals. These colleagues always give encouraging words or inspire me through their journey.

At a recent award ceremony, the host opened the floor for attendees to share words of encouragement. I hesitated, but I spoke to the young people about being focused, having fun, and being open to failure - not as a negative but as part of the growth process. I was also able to facilitate a young person in achieving a goal that will assist with career development. I have expanded my farm offerings and will focus on specialty crops.

After reading the penultimate paragraph, you may think these are minor matters. However, I count each one as a win! Therefore, I feel more inspired to inspire others. I see the importance of paying it forward.

I do not speak of my journey often, but I want to share that I have always had to fight for my rights. However, this makes me more resilient, curious, and solution-oriented. I will share more of these experiences with others and on my blog.

I've shared this post as a contract to myself to use any opportunity that I get to:
  • encourage someone
  • help someone with their academics
  • be a positive role model.
The people I mentioned earlier are all positive influencers, trendsetters, and mentors. My family is my core support system, and I value their input and encouragement.

If you can be a positive influence on someone, please reach out and assist. Remember, we are our brothers' keepers.

Ribbon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Knots!
So once we are aware of the power of influence and inspiration, does it suffice to say that we should be better at being our brothers' keepers?

Additionally, admire how you reinforced your topic, especially from the third paragraph to the end.
Awesome!

2024 Happy Mother's Day!