Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Using Small Wins to Achieve Success

I think that everyone measures success differently. Some people have to see a significant difference to acknowledge success. I am one of those persons who appreciate small wins. I have recognized that change takes time; therefore, success starts with small steps which propel transformation. Minor changes include personal habits, institutional policies and procedures, and the way that we approach situations.

I wanted to become more fit. During the BVI's first lockdown, I joined a fitness group on Facebook to keep me motivated. I am proud to say that I exercise every day because I developed a positive habit, and I approached exercise through a new motivating factor. I'm hoping that my enthusiasm encourages someone else.

Today, I also consider my journey in the working world as a series of small successes. While I may not have made a significant impact in any organization, my small contributions have assisted with efficiency and transformation. I always want to know how my work contributes to the overall goals. Using this mindset, I have been able to improve my performance over the years. Some people think that they have to be a manager to influence change and bring success. However, remember success is how each of us perceives it. Aim for small wins, whether monthly or quarterly, and you will see how improvements translate over one year.

When it comes to personal development and what personal success looks like, many of us rely on other people's opinions of success. You need to chart your journey and determine where you want to go and how you want to grow. Be content with who you are and understand that you will not achieve every goal you attempt. We have to balance our aspirations with the reality of our situations. So if you want to be able to buy a home, you need to have funds for the deposit and a decent credit score. If you have not been saving and making wise financial decisions, you will find it harder to achieve that goal.

I want to offer these ideas:
  • look at your present situation and consider where you want to see yourself
  • ask yourself, 'how do I get to my ideal?"
  • compile a list of small wins that can help you get to your goal
  • note the stumbling blocks that may arise
  • get started with achieving the small wins
Ribbon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Small winds play a very important part in our every day journey.

It is true that some persons rely on comments of others to identify their small winds;also for confirmation.

Nice piece!

2024 Happy Mother's Day!