Sunday, May 16, 2021

My Thoughts on The Golden Rule


This past week, I chatted with my friend and colleague, Dr. Dierdra Wheatley-Peters, about some of the different challenges that we faced. During the conversation, Dierdra said that life would be better if we abided by the Golden Rule. I smiled and thought it would be something nice to share. Also, I needed something to share with the youth for Youth Sunday, so I felt it would be an appropriate topic.

As I hung laundry one morning, I thought more about the Golden Rule, and I decided to present the topic in threes. I took this approach to keep the presentation concise while giving information that could be useful and relatable. I researched three (3) areas and highlighted three (3) points on applying the Golden Rule in everyday life.

What is the Golden Rule? It simply is that we should treat people the way we want to be treated. Aiming to live by the Golden Rule helps us to become:
  1. humble,
  2. concerned, and
  3. compassionate.

We express our feelings about the Golden Rule in different ways when situations develop. In the Caribbean, we have fables and sayings which depict how we should deal with moral dilemmas. I share these examples of common sayings:
  1. Do so, don’t like so
  2. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes
  3. Don’t give what you can’t take

Three Scriptures
I found scriptures that also promote the Golden Rule concept, which persons who follow Christianity would know. The Bible provides many references to sacrifice, humility, helping others, and sharing, and these should encourage us to be empathetic and considerate. These scriptures embody the Golden Rule:
  1. Matthew 7:12 NRSV: In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.
  2. Leviticus 19:34 KJV: But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
  3. Luke 6:31 NRSV: Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Three Examples
Many times we read scriptures, textbooks, and self-help books and get lost in the vocabulary. Therefore, I wanted to highlight how we can remain embody the Golden Rule in everyday life for thee young people:
  1. In the home – don’t leave your dirty dishes behind for someone else to clean
  2. In school – if you are doing a group project, pull your weight
  3. In the community – don’t litter

I shared this prayer:
Dear God, we thank you for sparing our lives and enabling us to come together as a church family. We ask for your mercies on our young people. Please protect and guide them as they continue to blossom into future leaders in the church and community. Please bless their home circles, their church family, their respective schools, and organizations that they are involved in. Help them to live by the Golden Rule and help us as adults to lead by example as well. This we ask in your name. AMEN

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!