Saturday, November 14, 2020

How Do You Address Differing Opinions or Expectations?

So many factors influence our expectations. We believe that everyone thinks the way that we do. We expect our children to have the same aspirations as we have had. Our leaders should mirror the leaders of the more developed countries, even when we see them floundering and disorganized. We want others to support the political parties we support and are upset when they do not. We get very offended when others do not see things our way, and this causes division and disagreement.

Some people argue while others pull away quietly. When it comes to children and parents not agreeing on the education or career choices, you may cause lifelong hurt because of differences of opinion. Family members stop speaking to each other because of political affiliation.

I can be quite headstrong, but I know that people will have different opinions. I expect that everyone will not agree with me. Sometimes, I get the opportunity to say that I "saw this coming." Other times, I have to "eat my words" because I chose a losing side.

I think these are most important when it comes to differing opinions or expectations:
  1. Everyone forms their opinions on events, crises, life, etc.
  2. Share your opinion if you choose to. You will be fine if you keep it personal.
  3. If you are going to express yourself, share factual information politely.
  4. Listen to the other opinions without showing distaste or disrespect.
  5. Know that you cannot have your way all the time.
  6. Be willing to compromise.
  7. Be encouraging and supportive if it is a life decision.
  8. Walk away and come back with more information to support your ideas/side.
  9. Know when to leave it alone.
Life continues to flow even when we disagree. If someone committed a criminal act, they may or may not get caught, but their conscience will deal with them. If your child chooses a career that you do not support, still be encouraging unless it is criminal, unethical, or immoral. Your conscience will have to guide you based on the situation.

I am not argumentative, but I know how to state my stance on a matter. Also, I know when to walk away. I prefer to use my energy honing my writing or weeding my garden.

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!