Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Soca in Me Waist

I love SOCA music. It is so me, so Caribbean, so BVI, so cultural and so moving. You can speak about issues in a smart way while getting the populace to wine and basically exercise their cares away - without whining! Everyone knows I love a good play on words.


My children seem to love SOCA too. I find awesome videos on YouTube, like Claudette Peters, Alison Hinds, Peter Ram, Rupee, Kevin Lyttle. Of course, these are the artists that have been able to receive full Caribbean fame and some are internationally recognized as well.

In the past, I wanted to be a calypsonian but I'm not really a good enough singer to pull that off. I have a friend and fellow poet, April, who has that voice and that range to sing, sing and sing! She's definitely going to do many great things in her lifetime. Ribbon said it!

For me, SOCA is the best music to exercise to. I tried that Soulja Boy business, but I was out of breath. lol Of course, the children loved that music too. They are born into the generation of hyped yet lyrically empty music so I guess it is my job to ensure that they get a taste of examples of lyrically deep music.

I'm not saying that I have the greatest collection, but I do have some Luther Vandross, Bob Marley and Steel Pulse in my house - of course this is the music that I appreciate. If you have some Bach or Bon Jovi - that's all good too!

Whatever your taste - enjoy and appreciate it. I love my soca, reggae, gospel, R&B and Hip Hop but for keeping in shape - SOCA is the way!

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!