Thursday, January 22, 2009

My links between poetry and music

I am excited about the prospects for 2009 for poets and musicians. As World Poetry Day approaches in the next months, I plan to write a feature piece on writing as I notice people have many misconceptions about poets, poems and poetry.

I once believed that poetry was OK. Now, as a poet, I feel joy when I can share my work with others. Some people hate Hip Hop/Rap. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. However, you can never judge an artform, a person or any tangible or non-tangible thing unless you have met, tried or experienced it.

I love music - lyrics, beats ... everything. The foundation of a song is the lyrics - all the other stuff are aesthetic. Today, the young minds have been trained to hear the beat first and disregard the lyrics. The US artists seem to be waking up because the people with the earning power who buy albums have stoppped. Who wants garbage in their car. I give Lil Wayne a lot of credit because when he first came out, I never like his style. He has improved and is very deserving of the awards he has received.

My favorites for now remain Ludacris, Outkast, Common and Kanye West for their consistently unique styles. Much love to these artists and others such as Lupe Fiasco and Soulja Boy who have broken the barriers of age, color and sex with their fresh styles.

My local artists have come along way to - the Hip Hop groups. Reggae artists are consistent and ours have so remained. Don't confuse the reggae with the dancehall. Church Boyz, Squad Up, HIgher Level and Oreggae Boys are all doing well lyrically and with their original beats - most times. I am getting tired of these re-makes of US artist songs - try drums, try acapella - something..........

My reggae artists - especially Capable, Shine-I, Jalon, Metango and Maccabee - acapella anything - these guys are always ready to go and the lyrics are REAL, original and touching to the spirit.

As a poet, my composition may be similar to the above musicians but they are composing to then find the appropriate beat to go along. I just flow and let go in word sound.

ribbon

No comments:

2024 Happy Mother's Day!